The Department is comprised of the following staff and a Physical Planning Section: -
- The Senior Environmental Officer (Mr. Balaba Edward Elber).
- The Senior Physical Planner (Mr. Othieno Andrew Nyeko).
- The Physical Planner (Mr. Constantine Wandira).
- The Environmental Officer (Mr. Mukwaya Sam) .
Objectives of the Department:-
- Work plans and budgeting for environment management programmes of the Municipal prepared.
- Enforce the implementation of natural environment action plans.
- Technical support provided to local environmental committees on the implementation environmental policies and programmes.
- Support community-based initiatives on the renewal and sustainability of the environment.
- Sensitize public on environmental policies, laws and conservation programs of the environment.
- Supervise, monitor and evaluate environmental programmes in the Municipality.
Prepare the state of environment report for the Municipality.
Physical Planning Section:-
- Carry out development controls in town.
- Approval of building plans, leases and lease applications.
- Advise council on physical and land use planning.
- Enforcement of National Physical Planning Guidelines of 2011 and Physical Planning Act 2010.
- Titling of council pieces of land.
- Opening up of boundaries.
- Setting up road designs.
- Drawing of Municipal Council detailed plan.
- Follow up on the approval of Iganga Municipal Council P.D.P.
Goal of the Department:-
- To have a clean, green, healthy a d well planned livable town.
Achievements for 2018/19:-
- Community awareness on road works along Balunywa Road, Local Environmental Committees formation;
- Public Private Partnership on solid waste management with M/S Transform for turning of solid waste into bio fertilizers and briquettes;
- Vegetation cover in schools has increased from 60% to 75%;
- Service stations carried out Environmental Audits;
- Social places have complied with the environmental laws and guidelines especially on NO SMOKING signs;
- Environmental impact assessment on road works was carried out.
Achievements of 2019/20:-
- Review of environmental and social impact assessment for the Eaton towers for the Airtel Mast along Kakerewe road in Igamba Parish was approved by NEMA.
- Awareness creation on road works along Mpindi road was carried out.
- Environmental and social impact assessment on road works is on-going.
- Social and environmental screening of education projects was carried out especially on renovation of classroom block at Nakavule P/S and building of four stance toilet at Noor Islamic P/S both in Central Division.
- 100 accacia trees were planted along Kasoma road in Northern Division.
M/S Transform Social and Environment Impact Statement was reviewed waiting for approval from NEMA.
Remaining Activities for 2019/20:-
- Environmental awareness.
- Review of Municipal Environmental Action Plan.
- Afforestation in degraded areas.
- Monitoring and inspection of projects for compliance.
- Monitor activities of M/S Transform.
Planned Activities for 2020/21:-
- Mainstreaming of government projects under Road Fund, S.F.G and DDEG.
- Environmental awareness on wetlands management, solid waste management.
- Greening of the town especially along road reserves.
- Monitoring and inspection of the projects for compliance.
- Monitor activities of M/S Transform.
- Commemoration of the National tree planting days like world environment on 05th June, labour day 01st may, women’s’ day 08th march, world youth day 12th august among others.
- Develop both Central and Northern Environment Action Plans.
-Develop a solid waste management strategy/policy for Iganga Municipal Council.
- Illegal constructions in the Walugogo wetland.
- Lack of office personnel (Land Supervisor).
- Limited funding to the Department.
- Stray animals are still a problem to the planted trees especially in the unfenced schools.
- Political intervention amidst demarcation of wetlands.
- Lack of transport means to the field.